The Coal Mines is a World Heritage site. Entry is free. Maps and information are available at the Port Arthur Historic Site. The Coal Mines first opened in 1833 and were used as a punishment station. A 90-metre shaft on top of Coal Mine Hill was completed in 1840. From the shaft there is a 700-metre inclined plane for wagons transferring coal to Plunkett Point. It took 7 hours to fill a ship with 200 tons of coal.