The Cascades were named for the series of waterfalls in the rivulet. The name was later changed to Koonya (1887) meaning swan as part of a policy aimed at removing the ’convict stain’. The Cascades was one of a number of probation stations established on the peninsula in the 1840s. Numbers increased to 400 when convicts from Norfolk Island were resettled here in 1847. Convicts harvested giant eucalyptus trees, with the timber exported from the pier built at the settlement.