In the convict era Premaydena was called Impression Bay. A convict agricultural station was established here and by 1851 there were 445 convicts at the site. The soil was largely unsuitable for agriculture and in 1857 the 238 invalids and 74 lunatics at Impression Bay were transferred to Port Arthur. Later that year the typhus ridden ship the ‘Persian’ had been refused entry to Hobart Town and the ’Mimosa’ towed the stricken ship to Impression Bay. The 238 adults and 68 children on board were highland immigrants from Scotland who were coming to Tasmania under the ‘bounty scheme’.