Convict Trail

9. Long Bay (Oakwood)

Long Bay was the terminus for the Convict Railway.  Passengers and goods would be offloaded and rowed around to Port Arthur in a whale boat.  It was the site of a timber camp in the convict era, while after Port Arthur closed Chesterman’s and the Gathercole Brothers purchased the timber leases and set up mills.  It was renamed Oakwood in 1892 when it became a Post Office district.